I am available for appearances at your business events, fundraisers & conventions! If you are interested in booking Mrs Portland, please email me at mrsportland2011@gmail.com



May 15, 2010

Ready, Set, Cook!

Today was an exciting culinary AND pageant day for me. That's right, I managed to find a way to combine 2 of my favorite interests, and let me tell you- it was great! I volunteered at the "Ready, Set, Cook" competition in Lincoln City, OR and represented my title of Mrs. Portland. It was an afternoon of yummy food, awesome cooking and friendly conversation. Just how I like to spend my time.

"Ready, Set, Cook" is a fundraising event that benefits the N. Lincoln Hospital Foundation Samaritan Early Learning Center Fund. Samaritan Early Learning Center currently provides day care for 53 children ages 6 weeks to 8 years and is the only state registered child care center in Lincoln City. With plans to expand in the near future the center will eventual accommodate 100 children.

The event featured 2 rounds of cooking competition- The first round set Chef Neuman from Portland's OBA and Chef Sean McCart from The Bay House in Lincoln City against each other in a 30 min heat to create a dish using salmon and shrimp. The second round found Chef Justin Wills and a guest chef from Maui making dishes with Morels and lamb. Each chef received a sous chef who won their position through an auction. They were then judged by 3 guests who also won their positions through an auction. All the proceeds went to the Learning Center. At the end of the day, we managed to raise over $3000 in auction bids alone! Talk about supporting the community. :D

To my surprise, I was introduced on stage and given time to talk about the pageant and my platform. What an opportunity! I got to brag about our outstanding pageant family, then get the word out about Sallie's Faith Foundation. I felt honored to be allowed that time and hope I did both organizations proud. Another great moment was when I met Chef Neuman. I love OBA's atmosphere and food, but I am always ready to sing the praises of their happy hour. You better believe I got a picture with him! That one's going in the scrapbook.

All in all, an outstanding day! Once again, being a part of the Mrs Oregon family has given me an opportunity to reach out into the community and meet some wonderful people while pursuing a passion. If you haven't considered joining us, you might want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment