I am available for appearances at your business events, fundraisers & conventions! If you are interested in booking Mrs Portland, please email me at mrsportland2011@gmail.com



June 12, 2010

Closing Up Rose Festival

This last week found me at 2 events for the Rose Festival: The Fred Meyer Junior Parade and the Grand Floral Parade. I got to see both sides of a parade this week, being behind the scenes for one and as a participant of the other. Both were awesome, but boy oh boy does Portland weather know how to throw a curve ball. It's the middle of June so one should be able to count on tepid weather at the very least. However, Wednesday, June 9th was no such day.

I was a judge for the Fred Meyer Junior Parade that took place down Sandy Blvd on June 9th. This is a parade that requires all their participants be under the age 18 (with adult chaperons, of course!) Pretty much, it's a parade for kids by kids. What a great idea! As I headed down to the staging area in my white pants, shoes and no umbrella, a monsoon hits NE Portland. I wish I was joking! Sideways rain fell in bucket loads, winds howled... I thought for sure that I'd make it to the starting line tent only to be told that the parade was off. When I did arrive, I was the spitting image of a drowned rat. Very queen-like, I can assure you. But God had blessings arranged for us, for that was the only downpour for the rest of the parade. I shock off the best I could, got my clipboard and judging partner and headed to my area "Major Floats". After going over 8 or 9 entries, we awarded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, followed by a Sweepstakes winner that won the privilege of leading out the floats.

This years winner was the 4th grade class from Beverly Clearly Elementary school. They had spent 6 weeks learning about the Oregon Trail, then separated into "families", each building a wagon and filling it with things they had learned the settlers used on their journey. Not only were the details just amazing, but this had to have been the most well-behaved group of 30+ children I've ever seen. Congratulations to the students and teachers for this wonderful project.
These boys look less then thrilled to be having their picture taken with me. :D
After the awards were given out, I worked with several volunteers and our coordinator, Sallie, to get the parade in order and on the road. NOT and easy task, I assure you. Thankfully, all we saw was a little drizzle here and there, allowing for another successful Junior Parade.

Parade 2 of the week: The Grand Floral Parade.
A reunion of the Starlight Parade, if you will. Once again, Joy and I, along with Miss Multnomah Co and Portland's Outstanding Teen were the banner holders for the One More Time Around Again Marching Band. We arrive early to the staging area, so we were able to check out the beautiful vehicles in the "Convertible Club", and were lucky enough to get some pictures with a few of them. Between the spirit of the day and the bright, warm sunshine... I don't know. People just seemed really happy to be together. We met so many new people and were met with smile after smile. The parade route was absolutely packed with waving spectators. Cameras were flashing, hands were waving, cheers were going off left and right. Again, if I ever need a reminder of how lucky I am to be able to be a part of this celebration, I get them in days like today. We march with the most beloved band in the parade- and these people know how to have a good time.

We are saying goodbye to our Rose Festival for the year. I am thankful for all the fun and great memories it provided me and I hope I am able to return next year to add to the scrapbook. Maybe with a different title??? :D We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment